Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Chewy Toffee Bit Cookies



 
Tonight I decided to use up the last of the toffee bits I had in the cupboard.   The recipe on the back of the package seemed like the most logical recipe to try.  I’m always afraid to try a recipe that I’ve never heard of or tasted or has been recommended by someone who has actually made it.   A few years ago I was watching a television show about how some of the well-known women’s magazines sometimes enhance the recipes to make them seem more tasty and make  magazine more attractive.  The spokesperson also said that some of the recipes aren’t even really tested, that they just put them in there to make us want to buy the magazine.  Since then I’ve always been skeptical about recipes from anyone other than someone’s blog.   I figure that if the blogger took the time to make the recipe, take pictures and post their results then it must be legit.  With that being said, I can honestly say that I baked these cookies myself and they came out great.  They are moist and chewy and passed the most critical of taste testers that I know…my son.   We got our bi-monthly delivery of milk (I did it on a whim and really don’t like paying as much for a half gallon as I would for a gallon.  However, now we’re hooked and no one wants me to cancel the delivery), anyway my son grabbed a big glass of that rich and creamy milk and 4 or 5 of the fresh baked cookies and became a very happy guy.

So on to the recipe which is very much like a chocolate chip cookie recipe.  I was tempted to throw in some chips but decided against it.  I think next time I will dip ½ the cookie in melted chocolate.

Toffee Bits Cookies (taken from the back of the package).

1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened

1 cup granulated sugar

1 cup packed light brown sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

½ teaspoon salt

3 eggs

3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking soda

2 teaspoons cream of tartar

1-1/3 cups (8-oz.pkg) toffee pieces

 

1.      Heat oven to 350° F.  Lightly grease cookies sheet.

2.      Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla and salt in large bowl until blended.  Add eggs, beat well. Stir together flour, baking soda and cream of tartar; gradually add to butter mixture, beating until blended.  Stir in toffee bits.

3.      Drop by heaping teaspoon onto prepared cookie sheet.  Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned.  Cool slightly, remove to wire rack.  Cool completely. 

About 6 Dozen Cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment