Monday, November 26, 2012

First Cookie Recipe of the Season





Tis the season to bake bake bake.  I love the holidays just because I can make lots of delicious cookies to share.  My plan is to try to make a differnt batch each day or every other day.  That's a lot of cookies by Christmas.  Every year I say I'm going to bake them and I make a couple of batches but never enough to actually give as gifts.  This year I'm planning to even bake some for the neighbors, well maybe only a couple of neighbors.  We really don't interact with many of the others.  We moved on to Saylor Street when my kids were already in high school.  Since they didn't grow up with any of the other kids on our street I didn't form that neighborly bond with the other moms on the block.  Add to the fact that I work outside of the house and am never home so I don't get to hang out for coffee with any of the other ladies. With that in mind, if I do give away any cookies it will probably only be giving to the people directly next door. 

My first recipe so far was an easy one.  Sugar Topped Butter Cookies.  They taste like little sugar cookies.  They have a soft inner core and a crispy top.  They're plain but good.  I think they'll be very good with coffee or hot chocolate.

Sugar Topped Butter Cookies

2 Cups Sugar
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 egg
2 cups all-purpose flour (I love King Arthurs but any will do)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon butter flavored extract (optional)
1/4 teaspoon salt
Water

Heat oven to 375 degrees F. 

Cream together 1 cup of the sugar and the butter until creamy.  Add egg and continue beating until well blended.  Add the butter flavored extract.  (this is not necessary but I wanted an extra kick of butter flavor.)
In a separate bowl blend the flour and baking powder and salt.  I mix it together with a whisk or fork just to break up any lumps if there are any.  Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and blend on low until well mixed. 

Place second cup of the sugar in a small bowl.  Shape the dough into 1 inch balls.  Dip the top of each ball in water and then in the sugar.  Place on an ungreased cookie sheet 2 inches apart.  Bake for 10-14 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. 

Yields about 4 - 5 dozen cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment