Sunday, November 3, 2013

A Lazy Fall Behind Sunday

My Sunday started out slow and quiet.  No one was home and the day started out very lazy.  With having to turn the clocks back I took advantage of my extra hour by doing nothing for most of the morning.

But lazy mornings can only last so long.  I have far too many projects to do to get ready for the holidays that I had to start making things happen. 

Earlier in the year I wanted to change up my bedroom a bit.  A few years ago I painted the room all one color including the ceiling.  It feels like a big golden box in my bedroom.  I just didn't have the desire to repaint.  Lately I have been thinking that it's time to change up the color.  I am not sure what I'll pick but I'm going to start looking at various samples. 

This summer I bought a matelassé blanket from someone on Craigslist.  Those blankets are expensive and I just didn't want to pay top dollar for something I might not like.  I held on to it for a while and decided that today would be a good time to put change out my bedding.  I have a cute fall colored wool throw I wanted to use as well and thought it would look nice on the foot of the bed. 

So I'm embarrassed to post this pic but what the heck.  This is the before.

I used to have a down comforter but took it off because we just got too hot.  I never replaced it and Mr. Saylor and I just use a couple of old throws as blankets.  We each get one so we're never fighting over a blanket.  But it's very ugly! 
 
And after..... 
 
 
I just love the new look with the Matelassé blanket and pillow shams.  Mr. Saylor has already been told that those pillows are never to be used.  I even bought a couple of new ones to replace them so they will stay in the shams. 
 
This is just the start.  My next project will be to find some matching nightstands.  I'm also going to make additional throw pillows to add more color.  I love the color red and will be looking for some red accents that will work for Christmas but will stay throughout the year. 
 
I also need to add something to the windows.  All I have up there are shears at the moment.  Drapes on either side will cozy up this space.
 
This bed has been in my family for over 30 years.  My parents bought it from a man that made them in his garage for $150.  It's a heavy solid bed and while I'd love to change it up I just don't have the heart to get rid of it.
 
So my day started out slow but I got a few more things done.  I scrubbed down some interior doors with TSP and then made homemade sweet and sour chicken for dinner.  After dinner I went for a 3 mile walk and when I got home I washed down the kitchen cabinets with TSP.  Things are coming along nicely for the holidays.  Our next projects will be painting some trim around the house and I plan to paint a window in my main bathroom this week as well.
 
I love doing little home improvements because sometimes the small things can make a big difference.  While my bed makeover isn't that exciting it certainly cleaned up my bedroom a bit. 
 
 Sometimes I feel like Willy Wonka when he says "so little time, so much to do".  Then I remind myself that it all gets done in time.
 
Until tomorrow,
Debbie
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment