Saturday, February 15, 2014

Valentine crafts recap and a heart healthy smoothie.

I'm trying to focus more closely on losing weight so I've been starting my mornings out with a refreshing smoothie with very little calories.  It's a nice pick me up before I leave for the office.

It's a simple recipe:
1/4 cup frozen blueberries
1/4 cup or 3-4 frozen strawberries
1 handful spinach
1/2 banana
1/2 cup fat free milk
Blend until smooth.  The frozen fruit gives it the frostiness that ice would normally do but doesn't water it down. 
 
Just before Valentines day I picked up some fresh flowers to replace the ones eaten and left ragged by our little furry whiskered monster. The pinks and reds together seemed to be more in line with Valentine's day than the pink tulips did.
 
 
I had one that was broken in the bunch so I added it to a little silver vase.
 
 
I'm very happy with my new pom pom maker that I picked up at Hobby Lobby!  I made a valentine heart garland and strung it across the window in the living room. 
 
The snowy scene outside drains the color out of everything.  But the sun has begun to shine and soon all of that white stuff will be gone and hopefully not puddles of water in our basements.
 
I baked some sugar cookies for the family and for our Valentine celebration at the office.  I decided to use a sour cream sugar cookie recipe.  I thought I would have a hard time finding a recipe but the internet is loaded with them.  I decided on the recipe I found here and it was fantastic.  I used royal icing and sprinkles to decorate.  I also had to try this Cherry Bark posted on Shugary Sweets blog here.  It was incredibly simple and tasted wonderful.
 
Of course Valentines Day is not complete without conversation hearts.  So I put a few in some little vases, used some leftover flowers in another with some colored water and created a cute vignette. The red from the rooster blended well too. 
 
And today all of the pink and red for Valentine day décor has been taken down and soon will be replaced with the greens of St. Patrick's day.
 
In the meantime I'm thinking of ways to "spring" up the Saylor Street Cottage. 
 
Until next time,
Debbie
 
 
 
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment