Friday, July 5, 2013

4th of July Weekend Projects

I'm so excited because I can finally post some pictures on my blog of projects Miss Saylor and I have completed.  I've been updating my blog but never seem to have any pictures to go along with my posts. 

Our town has a spring clean up day each year where we get to throw out anything we want for free.  Usually we have to purchase and put stickers on our garbage and we have to let the city know if we have any large items.  Once a year however we can just leave it at the curb. 

During this time our town becomes scavenger heaven.  SUV's and pick up trucks scour the neighborhoods for discarded treasures.  This year Miss Saylor found an old steamer trunk by the curb.  She was so excited to score such a treasure.  She parked and  jumped out of the car and loaded it in before anyone could get it.  She came home so happy because this is her first piece of furniture to go into her new apartment.  I think she plans to use it in her bedroom at the foot of her bed. 

Unfortunately we don't have any before pics to post.   It was an ugly black color and was pitted and sticky looking so we scraped off all of the old paint and painted it a bright white.  Next we pulled out the old smelly liner and washed the inside with bleach. 

Lining it was easy because I had some old toile fabric in a blanket chest that never made it to whatever project I had planned for it.  Miss Saylor did not want to put a lot of money into this project.  I think she felt that since she found it in the garbage she wanted to try to complete it with as little investment as possible.  

We started working on lining the inside out in the garage.  Boy, we picked a HOT day to do that and so moved some of the measuring and cutting back inside in the air conditioning.   We didn't have enough of the blue on white toile to do all of the trunk but luckily I also had some white on blue toile that we thought would contrast one another quite nicely.

I think it came out very well.  The project cost us about $12 to complete when you add in the sandpaper, paint and spray adhesive.  I don't remember what the toile cost but I don't think it was too much.  I probably bought it around 6 or 8 years ago. 

What a fun project this turned out to be! 




No comments:

Post a Comment