Sunday, October 27, 2013

Deer Meat Pot Pie and Apple Pie

I've posted a couple of times that my son has recently begun hunting.  So far it's just water fowl, duck and goose.  One of my top rules is that I do not want him to hunt anything just for the sport.  So, I've had to learn how to cook duck and goose rather quickly.  I have come to find that those birds are tough and most of my recipes involve some type of slow cooking.  Yesterday he went hunting with a friend of ours and brought home a duck and a little surprise.  Deer!  He didn't hunt the deer but our friend did recently and gave him some of the meat.  I wasn't sure what to do with it but a quick check of the internet gave me somewhat of an idea.  I knew it had to be slow cooked so I popped it in the crock pot.  Since it would slow cook for most of the day I decided to make it into a pot pie.  My son loves homemade chicken pot pie so I didn't see any reason why he wouldn't like deer pot pie.  It came out great and my son was quite happy.

So for those of you who may end up with a pound or two of deer meat here is my recipe.

2 lbs deer meet trimmed and chopped into large pieces
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp dried rosemary
2 tsp dried basil
1 Tbs Better Than Bouillon
salt and pepper
combine the above in a crock pot and cover with water and stir.  Cook on high 6 - 8 hours or until the meat is tender.  Once cooked remove from crock pot and set aside.

4 deep dish pie crusts
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup frozen peas and carrots
3-4 diced and cooked potatoes
2 cans Campbell's Golden Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 egg beaten with 1 tsp water or milk

Mix corn, peas and carrots and cooked potatoes in a bowl.  Add the soup and stir.  Stir in the deer meat.  Put the mixture in to two pie crusts and cover with the other two crusts.  Seal and crimp the edges.  Brush with the egg wash.  Cut slits for steam and put in a 375 degree oven for about 35 minutes.
Enjoy!



For desert tonight we decided to use up the rest of the apples that the kids brought home from apple picking.  I made an apple pie.  I will admit it was a bit of pie crust over load but the ice cream we served with the pie was quite good.  I made a simple apple pie recipe I found here.  Apple Pie Recipe

My crust was a bit jenky because I used store bought pie crusts and the top wouldn't come out of the pan so I pieced it together.  It was very good. 
 
I love my little apple peeler corer slicer from Pampered Chef.  This little gadget is probably 15 years old and I've probably only used it four times, two times being within the last month.  I think it will become a fall and winter utensil around here because I'm beginning to enjoy making pies.

 
I think the rest of the week will be light meals because last night and tonight were heavy meals.  Last nights burgers were fantastic and ground fresh here at home, the pot pies were heavy and the apple pie was a dense desert. 
 
Now we're heading into Halloween.  I haven't even gotten any candy yet.  It's supposed to rain so we probably won't see too many kids.  Which can be good and bad.  Good because I don't have to buy too much candy, but bad because if I have candy left we'll all eat it and we definitely don't need it. 
I just hate having all that chocolate lying around because I'm such a chocoholic.  If I have left overs I'm going to cut up the candy and pop them in the center of some cupcakes.  Can't go wrong!
 
Until tomorrow,
Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive