Sunday, October 20, 2013

Warm Beef Stew and Dumplings on a cold Fall Day.

Today was a quiet day at the Saylor Street Cottage.  We were a little disappointed in our Chicago Bears losing but they gave it a good fight. 

After Friday and Saturday busy days I wasn't in any mood to be busy today.  I did however want to use up some beef stew meat I defrosted on Saturday. Fall is such the season for hot stews. 

I was going to throw it all in the crock pot but since I was home I decided to just cook it up in a pot.
I will say and Mr. Saylor said it too that it was one of the best stews I've made.  I also added some dumplings with some grated cheese. 

We were all satisfied with a tasty hot Sunday Stew.

 
Sunday Stew Recipe
 
3 lbs stew meat
1/4 olive oil
1 cup red wine
3 cloves minced garlic
2 yellow onions cut into chunks
1 Large Turnip (Rutabaga) cut into chunks
5 large potatoes cut in to chunks
2 carrots cut up
1 stalk celery sliced
3 cups water
2 TBS Better Than Bouillon Beef Base'
1/2 tsp dried Rosemary
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp Thyme
1/2 tsp dried parsley flakes
Salt and Pepper to taste*
 
Bisquick Dumplings:
2 cups Bisquick
2/3 cups milk
 
1. Heat up the oil in a pan.  When hot add the beef stew and brown on all sides.  Add salt and pepper. (*the bouillon base is salty so you may want to add salt near the end of cooking).  When the meat is  browned on all sides remove from the pan.
 
2. Lower the heat to med-low and add the onions and sauté for a 3-5 minutes. Then add the garlic and continue to sauté for another 3 minutes.
 
3.  Add the flour and continue to cook for 2 more minutes stirring constantly.
 
4.  Stir in the red wine and deglaze the pot.  The flour will thicken the wine.
 
5.  Simmer for just a few minutes and then add the water and Better Than Bouillon Beef  Base.  I like to use this product because it gives the stew a rich flavor.  Stir in the herbs and beef.
 
6.  Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour. 
 
7.  Add cut up vegetables and continue to cook for another 30 minutes to an hour.  I gently simmer my stew for at least 2 to 3 hours but the meat and veggies are ready when everything is fork tender.
 
8.  Make the dumplings by combining the Bisquick and Milk in a bowl. Drop by tablespoonful on top of the stew and cover.  Let simmer for about 20 minutes or until dumplings are done.
 
9.  We sometimes serve our stew over white rice or egg noodles.  When I do I forgo on the dumplings. 
 
10.  Enjoy!
 
Until Tomorrow,
Debbie

 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive