Thursday, October 24, 2013

Round Steak Dinner and Pumpkin Bread

When I was a kid my mother used to make round steak with cream of mushroom soup.  I absolutely hated it.  I don't know why but it just didn't seem appetizing to me.  The other day I was at the store and saw that round steak was on sale.  I grabbed some and decided to make it in the crock pot.
This morning in a frenzy to get out the door for work I cut up the round steak in chunks, mixed up two cans of cream of mushroom soup and a cup of milk together and poured that in the crock pot, then I added a packet of onion soup mix.  It cooked all day and I served it over some wide egg noodles with sour cream. It turned out great but isn't the most attractive dinner I've made.  Looks like slop in the crock pot but believe me, it was good.
 
Here is my dinner in my vintage crock pot.  The problem in this house is that they start eating dinner before I can set up a nice looking plate for a decent picture.  It's ugly but it's good.



Last week when I had the girls over for my Operation Christmas Party get together I bought a box of pumpkin bread that I never baked.  Tonight I decided to make it so we can have it for breakfast tomorrow morning.  Being that I absolutely love to bake I've come to find that box mixes can taste chemically and this bread tasted just like that.  There is nothing like a good loaf of banana bread or pumpkin bread made from scratch.  I can really taste the difference.  We'll still eat this bread because it wasn't horrible but I probably won't make it again. Unlike my dinner that tasted a lot better than it looks, this bread doesn't taste as good as it looks.  No more box mixes for me.

This is my platter that I bought a few weeks ago at Goodwill.  I'm glad I only paid $4 for it because note the chip already!  Had I paid top dollar for a pumpkin platter I would have really been annoyed.  I can't blame anyone in this house for it but myself.  I knocked against it with a bottle last week.


Today I dug out an awesome fall colored wool plaid blanket I have.  I'm also looking for a red one I bought last year and a blue one that I think is in my car.  I hate when I pack things away and then can't find them.  I plan to use them to decorate for Fall and carry me into Christmas.  I cannot wait to get my bedroom done but I would really love to give it a coat of paint.  We'll see.

Until tomorrow,
Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive