Monday, October 21, 2013

French Wood Platter

Now that we're in to the thick of the fall season, especially because we're heading down to freezing temps tonight, I decided to do a little project I plan to use at Thanksgiving and beyond. 

On one of my recent trips to Goodwill I found a wood piece with a picture of a cowboy looking out over a canyon.  I think it must have been a wall hanging.  I grabbed it because I wanted a wood piece to use as a platter for deserts.  I've been tempted to buy one from Michaels but they're so expensive.  Honestly I'd rather just buy a nice ceramic one for the same price. 

Yesterday I sanded it down to get the gloss off and painted it white.  Next I printed out a French picture from The Graphics Fairy.  I ran to Micheal's to pick up some supplies to transfer to the wood piece.  I wasn't completely sure what to use so I just decided to use some Mod Podge. 

Now, I didn't follow the Mod Podge directions on the Graphics Fairy website and didn't transfer or print out on card stock because I printed the piece out at work on a laser printer.  So I just cut out around the picture and decoupaged it to my wood piece. 

The white background of the paper stuck out against the cream color on the painted wood.  So after everything was dry I washed it with a little watered down brown paint to give it a tea stained look.  Then I coated it with some polyurethane. 

I think it came out pretty good and I can't wait to serve some cute little petit fours and chocolates on it during the holidays. 

This is how it started out.  
Here is my new wood platter. 
 

 
 
This is my first try with Graphics Fairy and I loved it.  I think I've found a new obsession. 
 
Until tomorrow
Debbie
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive